Make every moment memorable
Get your space ready for a celebration
Plan a Cup Week celebration at home that will create memories for a lifetime. Take inspiration from the incredible marquees of Flemington from years past, and decorate to create a party atmosphere.
Colour your world
- Choose a colour palette. It might be feminine tones of pink, lilac, blush or champagne, or let nature inspire you, and go for terracotta, sage, gold, and emerald green.
- If laying a table, start with white tablecloths and add your colour palette through napkins, glassware or candles.
- Use floral styling to make a real impression. You can opt to use simple fresh greenery that you simply clipped from your own garden, such as ivy or branches from trees, or order in bouquets or arrangements from a local florist in your chosen palette.
- Think outside the box and style the table with herbs, fruits and vegetables. Arrange them down the centre to evoke a lush, farm-to-table seasonal feel. The aromas will also be amazing.
Tip: Don’t make floral decorations too high in a tablescape – guests want to be able to see each other across the table.
Set the scene
- Play with colour and texture at your table. Use mismatched chairs and even cutlery, to add a vintage touch and old-world sophistication.
- For a more formal gathering, use customised place cards. Maybe add a piece of Melbourne Cup trivia with each one to encourage conversation.
- A more casual party calls for lots of fun with decorations. Think fake turf, giant horseshoes and paper flowers, jockey and horse colours, and champagne bottles. Be adventurous, silly and go for it!
Take a seat
- Create a comfortable breakout area for guests away from the dining area where they can simply lounge. This may be a colourful rug laden with cushions, low couches or even bean bags.
- It’s vital that the races are on show, so set up a TV screen with multiple seating options available so not a moment of the Flemington action is missed.