View our latest statement regarding attendances at the 2020 Melbourne Cup Carnival.> READ MORE
Sweet, spiced and creamy
Sweet and gently spiced, this tart is perfectly balanced by the smooth rich goat milk ice cream.
Watermelon jam filling
- 2kg watermelon (1kg diced and 1kg whole)
- 1 x star anise
- 1 x cardamom
- 2 x kaffir lime leaves
- 200g sugar
- 400ml water
- 100ml lime juice
Combine all ingredients in a pot and slowly simmer until it becomes sticky and jam-like.
Goat milk ice cream
- 1300g goat milk
- 100g sugar
- 100g dextrose
- 75g milk powder
- 200g goat cheese
Heat all ingredients in a pot, whisking slowly to 80 degrees. Allow to cool and churn in an ice-cream machine (or a pacojet if you have the luxury).
Quick puff pastry
- 450g plain flour
- 20g salt
- 300g butter
- 225g cold water
- Dice butter and freeze along with flour. Once frozen, blend together adding salt then water.
- Once together (should only take a few seconds) remove and work into a ball.
- Wrap and allow to rest in fridge for at least one hour before use.
- Roll into 1cm and 12cm wide pieces and blind bake in a tart shell at 180° for 16-17 mins.
Place warmed-up jam in a tart shell and layer five thinly sliced rounds of fresh watermelon on top. Place a fresh scoop of goat milk ice cream on top and drizzle with aged balsamic vinegar (the older the better).